somebody in Redmond’s batting for the other team

Had to rebuild my desktop at work this morning, which meant re-installing the RAW Viewer. Why Microsoft never saw fit to natively support RAW files in XP is beyond me. Then there’s the whole “Windows Genuine Advantage” validation routine they make you go through to actually download the viewer. But that’s another post for another day. I found something interesting while downloading the viewer from Microsoft’s website:

Microsoft RAW Viewer download page screenshot

See it? No? How about a closer look:

Microsoft RAW Viewer download page detail

Lookie there – the Firefox logo on the Downloads pane. So whoever wrote up the downloads page didn’t check their browser before grabbing their screenshots.

At one point, I followed the statistics of how many people used first Netscape Navigator, then later Mozilla, then Firefox. At one point, I watched closely what market share they had versus Internet Explorer. Lately, it seems all those figures are up for debate and scritinizing. But it sure says a lot when Microsoft’s own employees prefer the competition’s browser.

Written by Dan

Last 3 posts by Dan

1. It’s showing you a Firefox logo (and a Firefox “Downloads” window) because the browser you were using was Firefox. If you had been using Internet Explorer, it would have shown you the proper logo/download window for IE. They’re actually being smart by showing the proper screenshot for the browser you’re using. :)

Ciler
    September 11th, 2007 at 11:14 am
  2. Doing web development at work, where I’m locked into IE, is crazy painful compared to doing ti at home with Firefox and all the helpful plugins. Maybe Microsoft just lets their folks use the best tools?

Jason
    September 11th, 2007 at 11:16 pm
  3. It is because as all (I can not belive I am going to say this) good websites it shows you different download and install instructions depending on the browser you use, as the instructions to install would be different, but MS have at least acknloged firefox, after all the plugin works with firefox now, whereas it used to e an IE activeX

Katrina
    September 25th, 2007 at 12:17 pm
  4. It’s showing you a Firefox logo (and a Firefox “Downloads” window) because the browser you were using was Firefox. If you had been using Internet Explorer, it would have shown you the proper logo/download window for IE. They’re actually being smart by showing the proper screenshot for the browser you’re using.

What he said. Writer of this post wasn’t so brilliant was he? IE and Firefox have different download screens so they would need separate directions.. Ya know, for those people that are too stupid to download something on their own.

yep
    September 25th, 2007 at 12:18 pm
  5. You arent very bright are you?

adam
    September 25th, 2007 at 12:30 pm
  6. I think you will find that it depends what browser your in. If your in IE it will show you the instructions for IE.

Tom
    September 25th, 2007 at 1:11 pm
  7. You are a complete idiot. This is the stupidest post I have ever seen.

silencer
    September 25th, 2007 at 3:38 pm
  8. Wow…don’t you think it kind of makes sense that when you have to install WGAInstall.exe, which works perfectly with Firefox, that it might actually be MADE for Firefox?

IE has ActiveX and doesn’t require any sort of download&installation, other than the ActiveX control.

This is the most retarded article I’ve ever seen in my entire life…I can’t believe StumbleUpon brought me here…thumbs down all the way.

captainobvious
    September 25th, 2007 at 3:48 pm
  9. That is your browser’s download manager, it has nothing to do with whatever site your downloading from. Please admit this is a joke and you just posted it so we wouldn’t be able to help but go see what else you’ve posted. Thanks for a completely undeserved feeling of superiority.

joe
    September 25th, 2007 at 5:14 pm
  10. Jesus, smooth move whoever did that. Makes Microsoft and IE look bad doesn’t it.

Vastari
    September 25th, 2007 at 5:26 pm
  11. Thanks, Captain Superiority, for adding to the conversation. Now go play some T-ball.

Dan